UPES: 3rd National (Online) Constitutional Law Judgment Writing Competition
SCLHR, School of Law, UPES is organizing National Constitutional Law Judgment Writing Competition in an online mode.
The Society for Constitutional Law & Human Rights (SCLHR) was established on the auspicious day of August 15, 2018, under the esteemed aegis of UPES School of Law. It focuses on promoting research and broadening students’ legal understanding.
In its journey, the society has arranged national events like ‘You Amend Your Constitution,’ an annual National Constitutional Law Quizzes, and Judgment Writing Competitions. It also hosts panel discussions and guest lectures on dynamic topics, assisting students in strengthening their legal perspectives.
About the Event
A judgment writing competition serves as a platform enabling law students to use their knowledge and writing talent to create convincing judgments. It lets students explore complex legal situations, examine evidence, and use legal ideas to make fair decisions.
By simulating the process of writing judgments, the competition will ensure to inculcate students’ critical thinking abilities, legal research skills, and concise writing proficiency. It fosters a deeper understanding of legal principles, enhances clarity in legal reasoning, and cultivates effective communication skills.
The objective of this competition is for the students to approach a factual matrix from the point of view of a judge, apply the law and render a judgment. The student shall be expected to think like a judge and reach a well-reasoned conclusion.
- The Competition shall be open for the students currently pursuing their Bachelor’s Degree in law i.e. a 3-Year LL.B. course or a 5-Year LL.B. course from any recognized university/school in India.
- Individual participation as well as participation in a team of two i.e. co-authorship is allowed.
- There is no restriction on the number of entries from any college or university.
- The participants shall be provided with a factual scenario/proposition and would be required to write a judgment based on the same.
- The participants shall write a single opinion. Multiple opinions are not allowed.
- The language of the Judgment shall be in English only.
- The Judgement shall have a maximum length of 14 Pages.
- The Judgement should be submitted in the Microsoft Word file (doc./docx. format).
- The font used in all parts of the judgment must be in Times New Roman.
- The Font size for the main text must be 12 with 1.5 line spacing and Justified.
- The Font Size for the footnotes must be 10 with 1.0 line spacing and Left Aligned.
- The citation methodology to be followed for the footnotes is Bluebook (20th Ed.).
- The page number must be mentioned at the bottom center of each page.
How to Register?
Interested applicants may register through the link provided at the end of the post.
- Individual Registration: Rs. 250/-
- Team Registration: Rs. 400/-
Note: The Mode of Payment shall be UPI only attached with the Google Form for registration.
- 1st Prize: Rs. 5,000 and Certificate of Merit.
- 2nd Prize: Rs. 3,000 and Certificate of Merit.
- 3rd Prize: Rs. 2,000 and Certificate of Merit.
- Every participant will get a Certificate of Participation.
- Registration Dates: August 14 – September 5, 2023.
- Release of Problem: August 14, 2023.
- Last Date for Clarification: September 8, 2023.
- Release of Clarification: September 12, 2023.
- Submission Date: October 2, 2023.
- Result Announcement: October 25, 2023.
For any queries or questions, you may email them at: SCLHR@ddn.upes.ac.in.
You may also contact:
- Maitreyee Dubey (Convenor): Mobile No. 9336368643.
- Deepesh Gulgulia (Co-Convener): Mobile No. 7878342538.
- Kritika Mehendiratta (Principal Secretary): Mobile No. 9582214006.