About the Competition
National Debate Competition for students, aims to provide an opportunity to come forward and experience the art of debating to take away the 3Es – Experience, Expertise and Excellence. The primary goal of a debate is for students to generate effective critical thinking into primary issues.
Data privacy is one of the most concerning issues nowadays. Privacy is the right to be left alone or free from character violence or misuse. Personal information protection is inextricably related to privacy, i.e. every person’s right to enjoy his life and freedom without arbitrary interference with his private life, family, home or correspondence, etc.
Data Privacy in Digital Era: A Boon or Bane
Any students enrolled in UG/PG of any course are eligible to participate.
Language: English Only
The competition will be organized on a zoom video conferencing application, in online mode.
Students are invited to a team of two (cross-university teams are permitted).
- Speaker 1 of the team shall speak for the motion and Speaker 2 shall speak against the motion.
- Each speaker shall be allowed to speak for 5 minutes.
- Granting the rebuttal will be the sole discretion of the judges.
- There shall be negative marking for exceeding prescribed time limit.
- Decision of the judges shall be final, and no objection shall be entertained.
- As per the Draw of Lots, Speaker 1 (for the motion) of a team shall individually contest with Speaker 2 (against the motion) of the other team. The cumulative marks of both the speakers of one team shall decide the position of the team and its further promotion to the next Round.
- For example, there are two teams: Team A and Team B. Speaker 1 (for the motion) of Team A will debate with Speaker 2 (against the motion) of Team B. And Speaker 2 ( against the motion) of Team A will contest with Speaker 1 (for the motion) of Team B. The total marks obtained by Speaker 1 and Speaker 2 of Team A will decide their position. Same goes for Team B.
- Each speaker shall keep their cameras and mics on throughout the round, especially when he/she is speaking (including in to the rebuttals).
- The dress code for the competition is western or Indian formals.
- Any kind of misbehaviour will lead to disqualification.
- No usage of any book, document or electronic gadget is allowed with the participant while speaking.
- Participants should ensure proper network connectivity before and during the session.
- In case there will be any technical issue from the organizer’s side, the time limit extension will be done accordingly.
- The organizers reserve the right to alter or change the rules or the procedure of the competition.
Disclaimer: The Rule shall be strictly adhered to. The organizers reserve the right to disqualify teams for deviating from the rules. The Organizers will resolve any contingencies that may arise and will be the final arbiters regarding any doubts/ grievances. The decision taken by the Organizers shall be final. These Rules are not exhaustive.
- Last date for registration: July 22, 2021
- Online Debate: July 24, 2021
- Announcement of results: July 24, 2021
How to Register?
The student can register at https://bit.ly/2UJTaF3
Registration Fee: Rs. 500 for each team consisting of two members
Bank Details for payment:
- Bank Name: Union Bank of India
- Branch Address: Shastri Nagar, Meerut
- Account Name: Shobhit Institute of Engineering & Technology
- (Shobhit Deemed University)
- Account Number: 496604010029158
- IFSC Code: UBIN0549665
- Winning team: Cash Prize of 10,000 along with appreciation certificate.
- First Runner up team: Cash Prize of 7000 along with appreciation certificate.
- Second Runner up team: Cash prize of 5000 along with the certificate of appreciation.
- Participation certificate for all participants.
Note: Certificates will not be provided in physical mode.
Faculty Coordinator: Ms Anjali Upadhyay, Assistant Professor (SLCS)
Email: [email protected]
Mobile Number: 7905154044
- Aditi Bhardwaj (7668722402)
- Utkarsh Gupta (8868869880)