Paid Internship Opportunity at Department of Legal Affairs [Multiple Locations]
About the Department of Legal Affairs, Ministry of Law & Social Justice
Department of Legal Affairs is a department under the Ministry of Law and Justice, Government of India, established in 1961.
About the Opportunity
The Department of Legal Affairs (DOLA) organizes an Internship Programme for young law students and graduates. The purpose of this Programme is to acquaint young law students/ graduates with the working of Department of Legal Affairs by giving training in the field of research & referencing work, court functioning, tendering legal advice in various specialized fields of law such as constitutional & administrative law, finance law, infrastructure law, economic law, labour law, conveyancing, arbitration & contract law etc.
Indian students who have passed 2nd year of three-year law degree course and 3rd year of five-year law degree course or persons who have completed law degree course from any recognized college /law school/ university are eligible to apply. Advance knowledge of computer (MS office, infographics, Adobe, etc.) will be preferred.
Duration of Internship
Duration of internship ordinarily remains for a period of one month and shall commence from the first working day of every month unless specified.
Procedure to Apply
Applicants may fill his/her application form along with relevant documents/ a No Objection Certificate from his /her respective college/university. The applicants who have completed their Law Graduation may not submit ‘No Objection Certificate’.
They may upload the final year certificate only. The application form can be accessed on the website
https://legalaffairs.gov.in/internship of the Department of Legal Affairs.
Applicants are advised to fill up the form online and upload the documents prior to the last date which will be mentioned on the website.
Selection of Interns shall be through a written examination conducted by Indian Law Institute (ILI), New Delhi for merit-based ranking and selection. The said process shall give opportunity to all law students from different recognized Law Universities all over India. Shortlisting details will be communicated through Internship Portal.
Each selected intern shall be deployed with officers/ Sections at Main Secretariat, New Delhi/Central Agency Section at Supreme Court/ Litigation HC Section at Delhi and Branch Secretariats at Chennai, Mumbai, Kolkata and Bengaluru.
Multiple Locations (New Delhi, Chennai, Mumbai, Kolkata and Bengaluru)
Submission of Report
At the end of the Internship Programme, all the interns will be required to submit a monthly report along with the research work assigned in this Department. The submissions shall be done to Admin-1(LA).
Certificate of Internship
On satisfactory completion of Internship, a certificate of internship shall be issued. For satisfactory completion, inter-alia, 90% attendance is mandatory and satisfactory remarks from the concerned authority (authority who assigned the work). This is a full-time internship to be attended physically and the interns are not expected to pursue any other course/work during the tenure of Internship.
The Department may terminate the training programme of an intern at any time without assigning any reasons.
Terms & Conditions
- Interns have to make his /her own accommodation arrangement during the internship.
- Interns are required to present themselves at respective locations/premises from 9:00 AM to 5.30 PM unless otherwise permitted by the controlling officer.
- Interns shall follow the rules & regulations which are generally applicable to the employees of the Department.
- Interns shall follow the confidentiality protocol of the Department and shall not reveal to any person or organization confidential information relating to the Department, its work and policies. Interns shall sign a non-disclosure agreement with the Department.
- Internship is neither an employment nor an assurance of an employment with the Department.
- Interns will follow the advice given to them by the Department regarding representations to third parties.
- Library facility at the Main Secretariat is limited to referencing only; borrowing of books/journals is not extended to the interns. However, photo copies may be obtained from the library.
- In the event of unsatisfactory performance, the concerned intern may be advised by the Department of Legal Affairs to discontinue the Internship.
- If the intern decides to disengage from the Department, prior intimation should be given to
- The dress code of interns shall be formal black trousers with white shirt.
- Selected interns are advised to contact respective offices/ sections in the Branch Secretariats for entry passes during the Internship wherein interns are posted. Interns who are doing internship in the Main Secretariat may contact Admin. II(LA) Section for the same.
The Interns may be given an honorarium of Rs. 1000 / – on completion of their internship.
Last Date to Apply
22 August 2023 (5:30 PM)
The official notification is here.