Kerala Law Academy Law College is inviting submissions for its 15th International Seminar on ‘Right to Privacy in Digital Era – Challenges and Solutions’ scheduled on December 17th 2022.
About the Organization
The Kerala Law Academy Law College (KLA), established in 1966 is a Centre for legal studies, legal research and law reforms. Its acclaimed peer-reviewed Research Journal has been published continuously since 1977.
About the Seminar
Kerala Law Academy Law College in association with the Centre for Advanced Legal Studies and Research (CALSAR) and IQAC, KLA is organizing a One Day International Seminar on ‘Right to Privacy in Digital Era – Challenges and Solutions’ on December 17th 2022 from the Kerala Law Academy Campus, Peroorkada, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala.
Call for Papers
The Organizing Committee is calling for Research Articles from Law Students, Academicians, Lawyers, Social Workers, Policy Makers, Officials from various Departments- Representatives from Institutions and Professionals; NGOs, Social Activists, Social Science Researchers and Faculty and Research Scholars.
The digital age can be described as a collection of different technological solutions as virtual environments, digital services, intelligent applications, machine learning, and knowledge-based systems, used for determining the specific characteristics of contemporary world globalization, e-communications, information sharing, virtualization, etc.
However, there are many opportunities in the technologies of the digital age to violate some basic principles of information security and privacy by unregulated access to information and personal data, stored in different nodes of the global network. This Seminar aims to determine some special features of information and personal data protection and to summarise the main challenges of the digital age for the user’s security and privacy.
The current focus on the right to privacy is based on some new realities of the digital age. Personal spaces and safeties that were previously granted simply by physical separation are no longer protected. The digital network enters the most proximate spaces and challenges the normally accepted notions of the private.
It brings into focus new means of exercising social, economic, and political power, and reducing autonomies. Moreover, this seminar provides a premier interdisciplinary platform for researchers, practitioners and educators to present and discuss the most recent innovations, trends, and concerns as well as practical challenges encountered and solutions adopted in the field of right to privacy.
- Information Technology Act 2000 and Protection of Privacy in India.
- Sensitive personal information, legal validity and protection – global approach.
- The judicial approach in Protection of Privacy.
- Present and future challenges faced by enforcement authorities in safeguarding the right to privacy in cyberspace.
- Rise of Artificial intelligence and digital data analytics as a threat or boon for mankind.
- Paradigms of right to privacy vis-a-vis constitutionalism. Regulatory regimes & emerging trends in right to privacy in India.
- Critical analysis of data protection bill & data localisation.
- AI and its interplay with data privacy, data protection & allied existing regime.
- The proportionality test: treading the line between national security and the individual right to privacy
- International Human Rights Paradigm and Privacy
- Criminal Investigations and Privacy
- Cyber Space and Privacy
- Health Care System and Privacy Interface
- Legislative Approach to Privacy and Data Protection
- Telecommunication service providers and data protection
- Online banking and cyber security laws
- Kindly confine yourself to the areas identifiable with the title of the seminar.
- The papers must be in Times New Roman, Font Size: Heading-14, Text-12 in A4 format, single line spacing, in justifying not exceeding 2500 words including Title, details of the Author/s and Footnotes.
- Authors are encouraged to use The Bluebook (20th ed.) citation format for footnoting and it should be in Times New Roman Font 10 size. Further, speaking footnotes is discouraged.
- An Abstract not exceeding 250 words shall be submitted for consideration.
- The Abstract shall contain the Synopsis of the Paper, Subtitles, Reference materials and a conclusion indicating the author’s perspective.
- It must be accompanied by a cover page, stating the following: Title of the paper; Sub-Theme; Name of Author(s); Name of Institute/Organization; Official Designation; E-mail Address; Postal Address, and Contact Number.
- The Submission should be in WORD FORMAT.
- All footnotes must adhere to the 20th edition of Bluebook standards and must be styled using the footnote option in word. Borders underlines or other design objects must not be included in the paper.
- References need not be mentioned at the end of a paper and must be included within the footnotes.
- Precedents may be in Italics but not bold.
- All subheadings must be left aligned, in bold.
- The Papers shall be screened by a Committee. The Full Papers (2500 words) approved by the Committee shall be accepted for presentation in the Seminar. The intimation of selection will be made through E-mail.
- The final paper should contain a cover page which includes Name, Designation, Relevant Discipline and Year of Study, Address, E-mail id and Contact number. Authors are to give details in the Full Paper.
- Abstracts and papers should be written in English, the working language of the Seminar will be English, and presentations shall be done in English.
- Submissions should be made by the author who will attend the Seminar.
- Co-Authorship is allowed but limited to one Co-Author only.
- Only one paper per participant will be permitted. Multiple submissions will lead to disqualification.
- No part of the paper should have been published earlier nor should it be under consideration for publication. Any form of Plagiarism will result in immediate disqualification.
- The Organizers will take earnest efforts to publish the best articles selected from among those received, subject to their acceptance by reputed journals as per their criteria.
- Publishing Charges if any demand for the journal is to be paid by the author.
How to Submit?
The Abstract must be mailed to klainternationalseminar15[at]gmail.com
The Research Articles received would be published in Proceedings with ISBN.
The Seminar is conducted through the online platform ZOOM. All the participants should have good access to the internet and be able to access the above said online platform.
- Submission of Abstracts: 4th December 2022.
- Communication of Abstract Acceptance: 6th December 2022.
- Submission of Full paper: 13th of December 2022.
- Intimation of Full Paper Acceptance: 14th December 2022.
- Date of payment of Registration fee: 15th December 2022.
- International Seminar: December 17th 2022
In case of any queries, please contact klainternationalseminar15[at]gmail.com